You Are God's Child--You Belong To God!
When you truly understand that you are now a child of God, there are a number of things you need to know about your new identity…
1. John 3:6 tells us that your new life comes from the Spirit of God- “Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life.” You have a growing desire for God and the things of God because His Spirit now dwells in you!
2. Because God is rich in mercy, He saved us, washed away our sins, and gave us the new birth, AND a New Life in the Spirit! Titus 3:5
3. You used to be so much different–limited to the kind of life the world gives and teaches- just like everybody else…But it all changed when you became a child of God! (See Ephesians 2:1-2)
4. God said, “I will be your Father'” (2 Corinthians 6:18)– the Aramaic word for “Father” is the word “Abba”, which is a term of intimate relationship, almost like “Daddy”, or “Papa” (See also Mark 14:36; Romans 8:15 and Galatians 4:6
5. You are now a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ- “You are children of God through faith in Jesus Christ” Galatians 3:16
From the very moment you believed, God became your Father and all these things became true of you. Let me encourage you to have a good talk with your Father in heaven…Get to know Him! The more you know Him, the more you will love Him. The more you love Him, the more you will want to serve Him. Will you pray this prayer for assurance with me?
“Father, I sense that I am your child because I asked in faith, and you gave me new life in the Spirit through Christ. I am learning that I am the object of your unconditional love and attention– you are forever patient and compassionate toward me, giving me your mercy, which is made new every morning. Help me to be established in this: I am His and He is mine! I ask it in Jesus’ name and for His sake. Amen!